Saturday 8 October 2011

My Design Process.

In this piece of writing I will look at how my design process has developed in past projects I have carried out and good and bad points of it so I can improve for future projects.

The last project of creative work I did was a final piece in Art and Design at the 6th form college I attended before coming to University. This project began with a stimulus which we could interpret however we wanted and that our work must be justified to fulfil the criteria of the brief.
I found this process of being given the initial idea and then taking it where I wanted an enjoyable yet structured way of creating. The part I found difficult was relating my work back to the stimulus. I knew how it was related but sometimes struggled to put it into writing and I found the best way was to speak to my teacher who completely understood where I was coming from and helped me meet the objectives. Since then I have been able to justify my work and the intention behind it well.

The stimulus for the last project was ‘Journey’.

When first being given the brief, a lot of things came to mind so I quickly got them onto paper so as to remember them later and analyse which ones I would be able and would be viable to pursue,
events such as a particularly memorable road journey, which had created an impression of a particular happy time of youth.  This was pursued by imitating the work of Joseph Cornell, an artist who made small boxes containing objects that conjured old memories. I experimented with this format of small containers and found a setup I was happy with then went on to test objects and how I related them to my experience.

Here is an example of his work.


And here is part of my final piece.



Another piece of creative work I have done included using project mapping onto static real objects.
This piece was entitled ‘Great Britain?’ It looked at stereotypes in use today and the countries identity in the international community.

Here is a presentation about my projection work.

http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/68009675?access_key=key-15v4zk0i01c35kvvksta
Here are some examples of work I included in the Projection Project.






 The process and meaning of this was to encourage the audience looking at the piece to examine their own feelings towards stereotypes in today’s culturally diverse society. In this project I looked back into past projects and found that projection was a medium I thought I could use to portray this idea. 

Overall I would say my creative process has varied in speed. I have a lot of momentum when first starting a project and then when narrowing down to an idea to proceed with I can sometimes get bogged down and slow down on pace. However when pursuing an idea I have believe in and am completely happy with I find it easy to really push. In working this was I think I produce my best work and would not continue with something till I have worked at it until I am happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment